PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, June 4, 2010

Random Acts of Kindness



This Friday's topic over at Kelly's Korner is: Random Acts of Kindness.

I think that sometimes we don’t realize how easy it is to make a person’s day. You never know what a person is going through and you never know what a smile or a random act of kindness could mean to someone.

There is a high school girl who started going to our church last fall and is friends with my brother and sister. A few weeks ago she shared her testimony and I was blown away by it. She talked about how she had planned on committing suicide one weekend, a person at school invited her to our church’s youth group on Thursday and she figured why not. She went to youth group and was floored by how everyone was so warm and welcoming to her. She talked about how she decided to push back her suicide and started coming to our church and youth group every week and how she looked forward to it so much, until she realized that she didn’t want to go through with it anymore. She talked about how people’s kind words and welcoming attitudes were the reason that she stood in front of us.

We really never know what people are going through. I think that sometimes we think that we need to think up an elaborate plan or scheme to show kindness or to do something huge for someone else, but I think that small acts of kindness in our day-to-day life also make a huge impact. You never know the inner battle that the person in front of you might be fighting... and you could turn it all around!!

signatu

“You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.” –John Wooden

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I started tearing up because I'm a suicidal survivor. You're so right that one never knows how their words may help change one's life.

The Undomestic Mom said...

wow that is such an amazing story! so glad you were able to help her!

Hayley said...

Wow! That's a powerful story! God works in crazy/amazing ways!